If you want to create a professional email account aligning with your website's domain (e.g., email@example.com) and efficiently manage it on Microsoft 365, you must first verify ownership of the domain and subsequently link it to Microsoft 365.
We’ve split the process into two stages for clarity, although we suggest completing the setup in a single session for optimal efficiency.
1. Verify your Jimdo domain
- Log in to your Microsoft account
- Open the App launcher in the top left corner, then click Admin
- Click the three horizontal bars (☰) in the top left, then click Show all
- Click on Settings > Domains
- Add your domain or click the domain you’d like to set up, then click on Start setup
- In this step, your domain needs to be verified with Microsoft 365. Choose to add an MX record, then click Continue
- Copy the value under Points to address or value - this is your MX record. The latter can have one of the two following formats:
MX record: ms213243.msv1.invalid
TXT record: MS=ms123123
- Leave this browser tab open and use a new browser tab to go to the email section of your Jimdo Dashboard
- In your Dashboard, choose the Office 365 tab, paste the previously copied MX record into the empty field, then click Continue. Leave this browser tab open as well
- Go back to the browser tab containing the Microsoft admin center and click Continue. Your domain should be verified now. In the rare case that you should receive an error, please retry this step after an hour.
2. Connect your Jimdo domain to Microsoft 365
- Log in to your Microsoft account, or simply return to the browser tab that contains the Microsoft 365 setup. Next, you should connect your domain to Microsoft 365. When asked which method you want to use for that, make sure that the option to Add your own DNS records is selected, then click Continue
- Expand the MX Records section in the next step, then copy the value under Points to address or value. Please leave this browser tab open for now. The MX Records should resemble something like:
- Open the email section of your Jimdo Dashboard in a new browser tab, or go back to the browser tab that contains your Jimdo Dashboard. Make sure that you’ve selected the Office 365 section, then paste the second MX record in the same field we’ve used before and click Continue
- Switch back to the browser tab containing the Microsoft admin center and click Continue. If you encounter an error here, please proceed as described in step 10 of the instructions above
- Your domain is now verified and all the relevant records are set up. You can now use the email functionality in Microsoft 365 for setting up email accounts with your own domain and using Outlook or Exchange.